Sunday, October 24, 2010

all work this weekend...

Sorry no pictures this time!!  We learned of an outbreak of cholera in the central plateau on Friday night.  I'm sure you all have seen the news and are wondering about me.  Saturday and Sunday, we spent the days cleaning out a storage room to use as an isolation  room for suspected cholera patients.  They will be assessed and given fluids and lots of education to attempt to decrease further transmission.  We assembled soap and hand sanitizer packets and some bags of home-made electrolyte mix.  It was a BIG job to move hundreds of boxes, identify and inventory the supplies we have to do IV hydration and medical treatment.  I learned a lot of nursing terms and a considerable amount about planning for an event like this. 

I just want to comfort all of you that we have lots of protective supplies here and access to the treatment needed should any of us get sick.  Truly, I moved at least 20 boxes each of gloves, masks,soap and hand sanitizer, some of them twice :) There are 5 confirmed cases in Port-au-Prince, none confirmed in Croix des Bouquet, which is where I live.

I will continue to update the blog as I am able.  Keep the prayers coming for the staff here and the Haitian people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment